Are you one who likes a plan? A semi-set schedule that you can follow? A plan often brings peace, comfort and a guide to help keep you on track. But what if the Lord says "Be flexible" and all of that goes out the window.
I remember back in the 90's we were taking a vacation to Kauai with some friends. I solicited all the things they wanted to do and what we wanted to do and started mapping out a plan and making schedules (so that we could get all of it in). After discussing some options, they said, "we'd prefer to be spontaneous" and if we can't do something, that's ok. So in an effort to accommodate them, I said, ok, I will "plan" to be spontaneous. I still had to make a plan, a plan to be spontaneous. Planning to be spontaneous at least gave me peace in some odd way.
Well, here we are again. I am being asked of the Lord, to plan to be spontaneous as we MOVE across the country!!! What I believe that means is, be flexible. Be flexible and open to His promptings each day. Be flexible on the timing of leaving here and the timing on arrival in Montana. Our movers come 4/9 (that may change) and we had planned to stay in KC for a couple nights, but now that may be changing. It also means being flexible in not making hotel reservations and just "winging" it as we go. We are finding that many hotels & air bnb's are not open along our path. It means being flexible on the actual "path/roads" we take as we are being told certain states do not want you traveling through due to COVID19? I haven't actually seen this anywhere but am making some calls to the various states and their local governments to confirm or not.
As I was praying this morning in my quiet time, I heard "Gumby". I was like what does Gumby have to do with anything? I felt led to do some research about Gumby, because frankly I have not much knowledge about his character other than his body was flexible.
Here's a few key points I found:
Taken from: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gumby-is-the-meaning-of-l_b_115511.
1. Because Gumby was a Claymation™ creation, he was eminently flexible and had a special knack for getting in to, out of, and through fantastic and often-danger-filled escapades.
2. Gumby's power is much more than flexibility. Gumby is more than ever becoming key to success in whatever world you tool around in. The next time a colleague, friend or Aunt Bertha asks how you triumph in the face of unbelievable odds, tell them "Gumby."
3. Gumby is action. Lazy is easy. Action is often strenuous and sometimes exhausting, but those who have Gumby (or saw him on TV) know that taking the effortless path rarely gets you where you need to be. Identifying nascent trends, for example, requires vigorous analysis of information from multiple sources, searching beyond your comfort zone.
4. Gumby learns. In each of his escapades, Gumby learned from those around him. He sought information and explanation, and had fun doing it. Today, we're bombarded by data from more sources than we can count, and those who embrace Gumby invest the energy to constantly expand their wealth of knowledge.
How our move compares to Gumby -
1. Much like Gumby, to some, our move seems dangerous & ridiculous and yet to others adventuresome. I waffle between the two. As mentioned before, the Lord told Ken and I on the same morning to book our moving truck for 4/9. Two days later the Lord said to me, crossover on Passover.. and when I looked up the date for Passover this year, it begins on 4/8 sundown and goes to 4/9 sundown. That was pretty amazing to learn. Leaving our Egypt and heading into our Promise Land.
2. Much like Gumby, we are going to triumph with God's help in the face of unbelievable odds. Here's how I know that - 2 Corinthians 2:14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ's triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere. We are up against a lot of odds - 1. Will our SUV make the trip safely? No heat/defrost (forecasting snow/ice along our path), big oil leak problem. Both of these repairs require hours of labor, the cost would be more than the car's worth. 2. We are on a tight budget and not being able to "book" a room could mean higher cost - but yet trusting God!! 3. Not knowing with roads to take or being flexible on that gives me some anxiety... I'm not fond of mountain passes and high elevations and especially with inclement weather and pulling a trailer with a car that's not necessarily safe. But God!! Right, He will lead us into victory!
3. Like Gumby, strenuous and exhausting activity of a move is accurate. It has been physically hard for Ken & I. And it has been requiring much seeking the Lord, keeping up with the news on COVID19 and how it affects travelers, etc. So far, I don't think it's going to impact us too much except using extra caution at gas stations, rest stops, hotels and eating... LOL!
4. Like Gumby, I am/we are learning and growing our faith, trust and utter dependence on the Lord. Like Gumby, we are expanding our wealth of knowledge in areas we never thought we'd would be interested in. Years ago when we first got saved, there was a song we loved (still do)and prayed the words of this song each time. It's called Live the Adventure of Jesus - Here's a link to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNSKVbhhIsY. Oh, dear ones, be careful how you pray. God just answers those prayers in ways you never imagined!! Hee Hee!!
I had no knowledge or desire to know about Gumby until God led me to it today. It is so amazing how God speaks to us and uses odd characters to do so.
Is there a situation in your life that requires you to be like Gumby? Is there something you could be more flexible on? Know that God is your source for everything as you keep tuned into His voice. He will always lead you in triumph as you follow His lead!!
1. Praise God that He is with us!!
2. Praise God that Ken's last day of work was yesterday. It ended well! His boss even made a comment that Ken had to hurry and get out of there or he would cry.
3. Please continue to pray for my healing and for sleep.
4. Please continue to pray for provision for a new/reliable suv before we go.
5. Please continue to pray for God's provision as we arrive in Montana...and also to step into the fullness of the destiny God has for us.
6. Please pray for open doors for a place to stay as we travel and no issues or hiccups.
7. Please pray for my heart. If I focus any amount of time on the thought of not being able to say goodbyes in person, it hurts. I am extremely relational.
We are so thankful for each of you who support us with your prayers and encouragement. May God richly bless YOU!! Our new mailing address is listed below! We will keep the same phone numbers for awhile. If you are wanting our new numbers, please email me.
Ken & Michele Cole
...God's love and care is amazing!!
Here are ways you can give if you feel led:
1. Non tax deductible donations can be made to:
Ken & Michele Cole, PO Box 1982, Hamilton, MT 59840
This is the only way currently we can use funds for our personal needs at this time. or through PayPal.Me/micheleacole. We also have Venmo & CashApp
2. Tax deductible options:
Checks payable to Sonlit Fields, PO Box 1982, Hamilton, MT 59840
This goes into our ministry account to be used for outreach and saving towards our vision.
Donor Fund - The Signatry - Ken & Michele Cole - listed under Want InSight Fund.
7171 W 95th Street, Suite 501, Overland Park, KS 66212
Phone 913 310 0279
This is an option to keep gifts anonymous - again for outreach and savings toward our vision.