Monday, March 26, 2012

What is hope? Upcoming Events You Won't Want To Miss!


What is hope and how do we get hope? Can you muster it up? Can you will it? Where does it come from?


I've been searching out the answer to these questions for some time now. Most of you know that I have several different health issues. I've noticed that my physical pain seems to have some type of emotional hold over me. What I mean by that is, when the pain is relentless for some time or my energy levels are limited, I can easily move into feelings of hopelessness and depression. I used to be able to tolerate high levels of pain. I could work through anything. Often people asked me how I continue to do what I do? And the answer to that is I don't know.

I remember my mom used to take me to healing masses at her church. I wasn't a believer then and I didn't really understand what was going on in those services. I got prayed for many times there but didn't get relief. Pain is what led me to the Lord, however. I had a friend who was witnessing to me for years through her pain. And it was her hope in Jesus that helped me realize my need for Him. It's been 10 years since I invited Jesus into my heart. In these past 10 years, I cannot tell you how many faithful prayer warriors have been praying for my healing. I was very touched by one person in particular who said that she would pray for me every day until the Lord healed me. That was several years ago. Today, the Lord has put people in my path who encourage me and help keep me moving forward.. but when I focus on the why's or why nots - why am I not healed God, why not today Lord, I often head down the road of hopelessness. I don't want to go there but how do I get unstuck?

God's grace has led me down this path to learn what hope is and how we can get it? When I pray, I hear wait and trust. And as I wait, He continues to show me little nuggets in His Word. He showed me that waiting on Him means focusing my attention on Him in hopeful anticipation of what He will do. I looked up the word hopeful in the dictionary and here are a few meanings that jumped out at me.... feeling of optimism about a future event, promising, feeling events will turn out good and to trust. I don't know how to muster "good feelings". Do you?

In 1 Corinthians 13:13 it talks about faith, hope and love. The notes the commentary wrote in my bible clearly spoke to me especially about hope.

Faith is the foundation and content of God's message,
Hope is the attitude and focus we have!
Love is the action.

Faith is based on knowledge of who God is. Knowing God is foundational - and getting to know someone takes time. As I've been spending time in His Word, He's been weaving truth into my heart. God is not a genie in a bottle, where we can wish and wish and get what we wish for? He delights in us wanting to know Him and spend time with Him. I have to admit I often have found myself asking and asking or wishing and wishing instead of just delighting in who He is.

The word faith in the Hebrew bible is replaced by the word trust. My faith is based on trusting Jesus! Trusting Him is foundational for my healing. I have to trust His timing. I have to trust that He is working all things for good in my life. I have to trust that His grace is sufficient. And I have to trust that He will heal me. It's ok that I continue to ask for my healing but getting to know Him more and more is most important.

This is where hope comes in. Hope is keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus and when we do, our will aligns with His. Hope is keeping our attitude in check and believing what He says in His Word is true. Hope is a choice. My choice. Your choice! Here's a few things the Bible tells us about hope:

Nothing is hopeless if you have faith (or trust in God) Job 1:1 Hope comes from really knowing God!
We are not to give up Ps 69:13 - Never never never give up - Winston Churchill

Hope comes from seeing God's perspective - Lev 26:40-45
Hope in Jesus always is rewarded - Luke 18:35
Hope is the key to the Christian life - 1 Cor 15:54-56
Hope because God is in control - Rev 22:21

Maybe your situation is different than mine. Maybe it's not a change in health you're hoping for....maybe it's a job or finances, a healthy marriage or even the right spouse. There are many things going on in the world that can steal our hope but if we have our foundations in Christ, His Word and our hope is in Him alone, we can overcome. Faith + Hope = Love. Love conquers all!

PS 33:20-22 - We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help and our shield. In Him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in His holy name. Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord, for our HOPE is in you alone!

Lord, thank You for Your Word. Thank You Lord that we can put our hope in You. For Your Word holds true and everything You do we can trust. Lord help us to know You better. Help us to keep our eyes fixed on you and not on the circumstances swirling around us. Help us to love You more than anything else. You alone are worthy. In Jesus name... Amen!

EVENTS COMING UP VERY SOON!




NCM Fathom and Kirk Cameron Present Inspirational One-Night Event with
Special Guests and Live Musical Performances in Select Movie
Theaters on Tuesday, March 27

MONUMENTAL reveals the story of the unlikely men and women who risked all for liberty, including the struggles of the Pilgrims, and shares stories of faith that helped shape education, government and civic life in the United States. This special in-theater event will also include live performances from popular Christian music artists, as well as exclusive interviews with media, faith and political figures who will share simple and practical ways to keep America's ideals alive, beginning at home.

3/31/12 - 7pm - An Evening of Worship & the Word! - at the View 13500 Byars Rd, Grandview, MO 64030 - all are welcome, event is free. Marlon & Quantrel Brown will be hosting.

Bob Sorge will be at our home 4/4 - we have just a few seats left. If you are interested, please email me.

Joni Ames will be available to speak and minister in your church or homes 5/7 - 5/20. If you are interested in scheduling her, please email me as I am helping coordinate her meetiings.

5/5/12 Ken and I will be ordained into full time ministry.

Peru update - There really isn't anything new to report. We still feel that God is leading us back to Peru this summer but all the logistics are a complete mystery to us. We don't understand why all seems quiet but are believing God will work things out in His timing and in His way. I can tell you that my heart is slowly changing towards moving to Peru. I've found myself wondering about what moving there long term would look like. If you feel led, please keep us covered in prayer. We so need God to intervene and speak to us further.

We had a great time ministering at a home group this past Friday and Ken brought a great teaching at Raytown Vineyard this past Sunday.

If you have any prayer or ministry needs, please don't hesitate to contact us. We love doing God's work!

God Bless YOU -
Ken & Michele Cole
http://wantinsight.blogspot.com
michele@wantinsight.com, ken@wantinsight.com




Donate to The Want InSight - Phil 4:19 Fund!






This is how you can give to support the ministry God has entrusted us with, if the Lord so leads you:

Tax deductible donations can be made by visiting:
1. https://www.hhmin.org/make_donation_projects.php, select Ministry Projects, then use drop down box Ken & Michele Cole - Want InSight?
2. Or you can donate through my medical account, select Medical Projects, then Michele Cole.

3. Non tax deductible donations can be made directly to us by:

4. Paypal - account is michele@wantinsight.com

5. Send check to our home. Please contact us for our address.
Any donations made through Helping Hands will be anonymous. If you want us to know that you supported us through them, please let us know personally. Thank YOU

No comments: