Monday, April 23, 2012

Untamed Spontaneous Hospitality

Untamed Spontaneous Hospitality

The word untamed means – fearless, courageous, full of zest! The word hospitality means treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.

Have you ever been asked or in a place where you had to do something that seemed a little bit awkward or maybe downright unheard of?? I don’t know about your walk with the Lord, but my walk has been a bit radical.

I want to share with you the story found in the book of Luke. It’s the story of the Good Samaritan. On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.” But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’ “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?” The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Do you think this Samaritan was involved in some untamed spontaneous hospitality?  He was kind and courageous and generous.  As followers of Jesus Christ, we too are asked to do this.

Matthew 25:35
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. 

Sometime ago, my husband and I felt like we heard God ask us to attend this Christian Conference. The conference speaker was known for his ministry of healing and miracles. At that time, I was just beginning my physical crash with adrenal fatigue.   I didn’t really want to go because this person didn’t have a good reputation. But we clearly felt like God wanted us to go. In obedience we went. The conference lasted 3 days Friday, Saturday and Sunday was the big “miracle healing service”.

On Sunday late into the service, I was beginning to question God. Why are we here? There isn’t anything going on. The healing service was a bunch of hype.  Then suddenly I had a strong pull to look to my left towards the front. I spotted a couple thousands of people away and my heart instantly was burdened for them. It’s hard to describe. But my heart ached for these two. I felt the Lord say – go pray for them but wait until I tell you when.

About 30 minutes later, I felt released to go. Ken and I went over to this couple. The lady was sitting in a wheelchair. Her husband was very sad. We went up to them and asked if we could pray for them and that we felt like the Lord led us to them. They looked at each other and then said sure… that they wouldn’t turn down prayer but they sure didn’t seem interested. As I started to pray, I felt like the Lord gave me a couple scriptures to pray over them and to share. As I did, I noticed that the lady looked up to her husband and then began to cry. I thought uh oh. Ken then began to pray over the husband and shared a picture the Lord had given him. Again, I noticed that the husband kind of looked amazed or shocked. We didn’t know which?

When we got done praying, we introduced ourselves and they did the same. Lori, the lady, said I now believe God sent you to pray for me and she started to push up her coat sleeve (it was like 30 degrees in there from the a/c) and when she did she showed me two bracelets she was wearing. Both of them had the Scripture reference that I had prayed over her. Wow! Then Mitch, the husband, he said to us – its like God threw a Hail Mary pass. I said what? What does that mean?? He said let me rephrase that.  He said, it’s like Lori and I were in a plane and it was nose diving into the opening of an erupting volcano and then He sends you over to pray for us and all of a sudden the plane turns upwards and is heading back towards the sky. Wow! I still didn’t know what that meant exactly but I knew from the tone of his voice and the smiles on their faces, it was really good. At that moment, I felt the Lord say to me, invite them to live with you.

They went on to tell us that they had been in town from Omaha for the past month. She had several strains of Lyme Disease and was being treated 7 days a week, 6 hours a day and would be here for at least another 90 days with possibility of up to 6 months longer. They were staying in a hotel. We exchanged email and phone numbers and I told them I’d be in contact.

The next day I sent an email asking if we could get together for dinner and we coordinated for the next day. Ken and I had talked and had agreed to ask them to stay with us but at dinner we would try and find out if this was really God or not. After 3 hours of talking and having a really good time, I thought I was smarter than God. Ha ha! I asked if they liked dogs (we have 3). Mitch said we do but Lori is allergic to dogs, strike 1. Later in the evening, I asked how they liked their hotel and they said they felt it was a great place and that God had orchestrated it for them. Strike 2. And then the Lord said to me, “but not strike 3”!

Finally on Wednesday, the next day, the Lord said to me… email them this question and when they respond you will have your confirmation that this is Me and I want them to move in with you. So I did, and they responded. The email said I don’t know why I’m telling you all of this but I feel safe with you. I feel I can trust you… and with that, I knew without a doubt. So my next email said something like this. When we met you Sunday night, immediately I felt like the Lord wanted us to invite you to live with us while you are getting your treatment here in KC.   Ken and I have talked and prayed and would like to extend you and offer to stay. Thursday when you come over, you can see the house, see the two rooms you can use – one to sleep and one to be your private space. The reply from them came quickly. The first several words were Wow, Wow, Wow in about 94 font! Then they went on to say that they too felt the Lord showed them they were going to be asked to stay with us. They came over on Thursday night and checked out the house and they were overjoyed.

That weekend Mitch’s parents and sister were coming to visit and they wanted to bring them over to meet us. It really was a “parent test”. Would we pass the test?  After we showed them the house and the accommodations, we sat and visited with them for hours. Finally Mitch said, mom dad, we got to go. They said yea yea honey (kind of like we are busy son).... in just a minute.  We passed the test. They moved in with us and lived with us for 3 ½ months. In the course of this time, we really got to know each other and the family too. We were all blessed. I don’t know about you – but I call this untamed spontaneous hospitality.

When you walk with the Lord, you may be called to do something a bit crazy and awkward.  But when you do, the Lord has already prepared you for it, whether you realize it or not!    Oh and there’s one more reason you might be more willing to do something untamed and out of your comfort zone…. Hebrews 13:2 Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!

I challenge you to put on your spiritual ears, ask the Lord if there is someone He would like you to help spontaneously, whether finanicallly, a home to stay in for a while, or simply reach out to someone who may have a need.  There's no greater blessing than give of your time, talent, treasure or touch...especially if the Lord leads it!

I end with a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson - “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”. If you are interested in having us help you, please send us an email.

Please let us know how we can pray for you!

God Bless YOU -
Ken & Michele Cole
http://wantinsight.blogspot.com
michele@wantinsight.com, ken@wantinsight.com




Donate to The Want InSight - Phil 4:19 Fund!





This is how you can give to support the ministry God has entrusted us with, if the Lord so leads you:

Tax deductible donations can be made by visiting:
1. https://www.hhmin.org/make_donation_projects.php, select Ministry Projects, then use drop down box Ken & Michele Cole - Want InSight?
2. Or you can donate through my medical account, select Medical Projects, then Michele Cole.

3. Non tax deductible donations can be made directly to us by:

4. Paypal - account is michele@wantinsight.com

5. Send check to our home. Please contact us for our address.
Any donations made through Helping Hands will be anonymous. If you want us to know that you supported us through them, please let us know personally. Thank YOU



UPCOMING EVENTS


5/5 Ken and I will be ordained into full time ministry!

****** 5/10 & 5/15 Joni Ames will be here to minister - if you are interested in attending, please email me.

Joni is also available other days or evenings to minister to your church or home group. She will be in town from 5/5-5/15 but her schedule is filling up. Please email me if you are interested in hosting an event and I will let you know what's available.

ARK INTERNATIONAL - Equipping us to be ready for disaster response is having training! Please visit their website and sign up.
PREP 2 and CISM
Registration Now Open
The ARK Team is pleased to offer 2 new training opportunities.

PREP 2 April 13 - 14, 2012 - Fee $45.00
Friday 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Location:
The Daniel Academy
310 West 106th Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64114

ARK's Second Preparedness course (PREP 2) builds on the concepts and principles introduced in PREP 1.
The goal of PREP 2 is to help develop a sustainable, long-term strategy.

In the long-term strategy, the focus begins to shift toward being a resource to others when the infrastructures are damaged or unavailable for an extended period of time (weeks or months). This will include Building Spiritual Resilience as well as developing the strategies for the 8 essentials outlined in PREP 1. PREP 2 will involve demonstrations and hands-on skill development. An extended resource guide will accompany this training.


Critical Incident Stress Management Training (CISM)
April 19 - 21 Fee- $75.00
Thursday 6:00-9:00 PM
Friday 6:00-9:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00PM

Please join us in this vital, internationally recognized training for volunteers who are called to help people in times of crisis and/or called to the mission field. This training will equip participants to deal with the mental, emotional and spiritual issues most people encounter in times of disaster, including trauma, learning debriefing techniques, peer support, self care and much more. Certified Traumatic-Stress Instructors will present the training. All participants will receive a certificate of completion in CISM (Critical Incident Stress Management/Critical Incident Stress Debriefing). This training is recommended for teens 16 years of age and above.

Location:
River of Refuge
5155 Raytown Rd.
Kansas City, MO

You can register for all of our upcoming trainings at www.arkintl.net

No comments: